One of the main reasons I started this blog was to challenge myself to do and learn new things - one of those things being front-end web development. I've never taken any formal classes on web design but have been dabbling with HTML and CSS since I started blogging. Most of what I know is from reading and trial and error. I just love creating in general (outfits, pretty pictures, itineraries, etc.), and I have a degree in engineering so web design is a natural extension for me.
I recently helped my friends at spicycandydc.com update their blog design. We made a list of everything they wanted, and I took care of the rest.
Continue reading to see the transformation...
\\ SPICYCANDYDC.COM \\ BEFORE \\
\\ SPICYCANDYDC.COM \\ AFTER \\
HOME PAGE CHANGES \\
1. The logo was updated and left justified.
2. The social media buttons were updated to cohesively match the rest of the design and moved to the top right.
3. The navigation bar was updated with drop-down options and is now sticky - meaning when you scroll, it will "stick" to the very top of the screen.
4. The sidebar was widened so that the ads and gadgets fit in the screen and are all the same width.
5. Added a few new gadgets - About Us, SCDC Newsletter sign-up, SCDC TV, and She's Unique & District Closets logos.
6. Added a new picture slider to highlight certain posts.
7. Moved "Posted By" and the timestamp from the post footer to under the post title.
I also made some updates to a few of their static pages. The most visible changes are on their "About Us" page.
\\ SPICYCANDYDC.COM \\ ABOUT US \\ BEFORE \\
\\ SPICYCANDYDC.COM \\ ABOUT US \\ AFTER \\ABOUT US PAGE CHANGES \\
1. Updated image and content.
2. The sidebar and gadgets no longer appear on this page which gives more room for other things like...
3. Information about their new contributors when you scroll down the page.
What do you think? What do you like? What don't you like? I want to know! See the full makeover over at www.spicycandydc.com and contact me if you need help with your blog.